Here are some of the top performances by draft eligible players.
* UCLA’s Jonathan Franklin is red hot. He was 26-217 vs Nebraska and is averaging 10.51 ypc for the season so far.
* Kenjon Barner lit up Fresno State to the tune of 34-201-3. The Oregon RB has 5 TDs on only 43 carries this season.
* Junior RB Damien Williams of Oklahoma has yet to face a tough opponent (UTEP, FAMU), but he’s gone 20-259-5 so far. Great start to his OU career.
* Denard Robinson looked like the guy we all feared in the past. Against AFA he was 20-218-2 on the ground and 14-25-208 in the air. Also had 2 TDs and no picks.
* Junior Joseph Randle had a good night for Oklahoma State, going 23-123 on the ground and 8-70 as a receiver.
* George Winn was 11-95-2 vs Pitt. Efficient night by the Cincy RB.
* On the flip side, Montee Ball was only 15-61 vs Oregon State. No TDs. Slow start for Ball.
* Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib is off to a great start. Against USC he was 30-46-322 with 2 TDs, 2 INTs. He’s over 800 yards in just 2 games.
* Junior Kolton Browning isn’t a name familiar to most people, but he destroyed Arkansas on Saturday in La-Monroe’s upset win. He was 16-69-1 on the ground. He was 42-67-481 in the air, with 3 TDs and 1 pick. Amazing game for him.
* Another Junior posted huge numbers. Houston’s David Piland was 53-77-580, with 4 TDs and no picks. Those numbers are somewhat diminished because we saw Case Keenum do that stuff a few times in his UH career.
* I think new Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez likes QB Matt Scott. They are posting big time offensive numbers so far. Scott was 19-55-1 on the ground and 28-41-320 in the air. He threw 2 TDs and no picks in the 59-38 win over Okla State.
* La Tech’s Colby Cameron was 34-52-353 with 3 TDs in a shootout win over Houston.
* Matt Barkley only had 187 yards in the air vs Syracuse, but did throw 6 TDs. That is impressive.
* Collin Klein isn’t a great pro prospect, but boy is he a great college player. Think of Tim Tebow, but minus the halo and the hype. In KSU’s blowout win over Miami, Klein was 22-72-3 on the ground and 9-11-210 in the air, with a TD and an INT. Love watching him play.
* Junior Michael Campanaro had a big game for Wake Forest in their win at UNC. He was 13-164. Also ran once for 9 yards. Kept the chains moving all day.
* Syracuse wideout Marcus Sales was 8-104-2 vs USC.
* USC’s Robert Woods had a big day vs Syracuse. He was 10-93-2 as a receiver and also ran for a 76-yard TD. Added a 31-yard PR to make sure he got everyone’s attention.
* TE Chris Gragg is off to a hot start for Arkansas. In 2 games he has 14 catches for 193 yards and 2 scores.
* TE Chris Coyle was key to Arizona State’s big win over Illinois. He was 10-13-2.
* MTSU wideout Anthony Amos only caught 4 passes, but 2 went for TDs. He was 4-102-2 vs FAU.
* Houston LB Phillip Steward had 12 total tackles, 1.5 TFLs, and a FF vs La Tech.
* LB Will Compton had 12 total tackles (8 solo) and a sack in Nebraska’s loss to UCLA.
* Penn State LB Mike Mauti had 9 total tackles, a PBU, and a FF vs Virginia.
* DE Travis Johnson had a great game for SJSU. The opponent was only Cal-Davis but he racked up 6 TFLs (4 of them were sacks). Johnson leads the nation in TFLs.
* Walter Stewart got off to a great start vs Pitt. The Cincy pass rusher had 9 total tackles. 3.5 were TFLs (and 2 of those were sacks). He also had a FF.
* DeAundre Brown had 2 sacks in each of Tulsa’s first 2 games.
* UCLA DE Datone Jones had 3 TFLs vs Nebraska.
* Georgia star Jarvis Jones had 2 sacks and an INT vs Missouri. He was in on 9 total tackles and forced 2 fumbles. 3-4 teams will be ecstatic with that game tape.
* UConn DE Trevardo Williams had 2.5 sacks and a FF vs NC State.
* Damontre Moore had 3 sacks for Texas A&M vs Florida.
* Nate Combs from Army had a couple of sacks vs San Diego State.
* DE Brad Madison had 2 sacks for Missouri against Georgia.
* Purdue DT Kawann Short had a pair of sacks in the loss to Notre Dame.
* Adam Davis had 2 sacks and 2 FFs in KSU’s win over Miami.
* Travis Howard of Ohio State now has 3 INTs after just 2 games.
* Star CB Johnthan Banks had 6 tackles and 2 INTs for MSU in the win over Auburn. Banks is a big time playmaker.
* Will Davis from Utah State broke up 4 passes in the win over Utah.