Here are some of the top performances by draft eligible players. * Clemson RB Andre Ellington had a monster game vs Auburn. He was 26-231, but somehow didn’t score a TD. Ellington used great balance to rip off some long runs.
* Cody Getz had a huge game for Air Force, going 17-219-3 vs Idaho State.
* UCLA’s Jonathan Franklin lit up Rice, going 15-214-3.
* I’m not sure if it is more impressive that Le’Veon Bell had 44 carries for 210 yards against Boise State. He scored 2 TDs and was also 6-55 as a receiver. 50 touches? That’s crazy.
* Troy RB Shawn Southward had 2 100-yard games in his first 3 years. He went 28-204-3 vs UAB in the opener. Could be a huge Senior season for him.
* Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib got his season off to a great start. SU lost a tight game to NW, 42-41, Nassib did everything he could, going 44-65-482 on the day. He threw 4 TDs and 1 pick.
* West Va QB Geno Smith was 32-36-323 vs Marshall. He had 4 TDs and no picks.
* BC’s Chase Rettig threw for 441 yards. He was awful at times in the past, but lit up Miami. I doubt Chase thinks of leaving early, but I was shocked at his strong showing.
* Taylor Martinez put up sensational numbers for Nebraska. He was 26-34-354 with 5 TDs and no picks. If he plays like that all year, watch out.
* With Sammy Watkins suspended, DeAndre Hopkins stepped up for Clemson, catching 13 passes for 119 yards. That’s small YPC, but he moved the chains and helped the Tigers win.
* Syracuse WR Marcus Sales sat out the 2011 season, but 2012 off to a huge start. He was 12-129-1 in the win over NW.
* Duke’s Conner Vernon was 10-180-1 in the Blue Devils big win over FIU.
* Stedman Bailey was 9-104-2 for WVA in the win over Marshall.
* Vandy Junior Jordan Matthews was 8-147 with a TD in the loss to South Carolina.
* Wyoming Junior Robert Herron lit up Texas, going 5-173-2.
* Khaseem Greene had a good day for Rutgers, racking up 14 tackles. He also had a sack and PBU.
* Wisconsin LB Mike Taylor had 13 tackles, 1.5 TFLs, and a PBU vs Northern Iowa.
* DE/LB Jamie Collins is off to a good start for USM. He had 13 tackles vs Nebraska. That included 2.5 TFLs (1 sack).
* NC State’s Earl Wolff had a big opener. The DB had 12 tackles. 9 were solos and 2 were TFLs.
* Jake Knott is one of the most productive LBs in the nation. Vs Tulsa he had 11 total tackles, broke up 2 passes and had a FF. Stat sheet stuffer.
* Bjoern Werner is one of the top DEs in the country. He was huge for FSU in the opener vs Murray State. He had 5 TFLs (4 were sacks), a FF, and broke up a pass.
* Stanford moved Usua Amanam from RB to DB. He had 4 TFLs (2 sacks) in the opener. Might be a natural in the slot.
* CB Brandon Jones was outstanding for Rutgers. He had 5 solo tackles. He picked off a pass and broke up 3 more.