Final 2012 Mock Draft

27 – NE – DL Dontari Poe, Memphis

28 – GB – LB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama

29 – BAL – OL Peter Konz, Wisconsin

30 – SF – OG Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State

31 – NE – CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama

32 – NYG – DE Bruce Irvin, West Virginia

Rather than post a bunch of comments, I’ll let you guys fire off whatever questions you have.  I did let things get a bit weird at the end of the round, but it seems to me that teams start to do strange things at that point so I just went in that direction.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Final 2012 Mock Draft

1. SP says:

Jonathon Martin is all the way out of the first round?
    Same with Curry and Perry, whom I believe are both better than Irvin?
    Fleener doesn’t sneak in at the end?
    When the hell did Ta’Amu become a first round prospect?

• Tommy Lawlor says:

Martin isn’t loved by the scouting community. I don’t fully get it.

Curry is borderline. Perry has Top 20 talent, but is highly inconsistent.

Fleener was a close call.

Ta’Amu was strictly a wildcard. There are always a handful of picks that come out of left field. I guessed on some. Might be way, way wrong. Trying to predict what 32 different organizations will do. That ain’t easy.

• SP says:

>>Fair enough. I don’t get the hate on Martin either. I think he’d be better than Reiff at thirteen, but if the “softness” is an issue, I suppose Arizona doesn’t want to add to any already soft line… If he slips to 33, the Rams have to jump all over that though.

>>I think Perry goes before Irvin for sure, at least for a team looking for a 4-3 rusher.

>>Matt’s not going to be very happy that you did that… you know he loves him some Fleener lol.

>>I had some wild cards in mine on the EMB, including the Rams trading back up for Stephen Hill after grabbing Blackmon. Speaking of which, when you invest in a QB like Bradford, isn’t it important to grab potentially elite WRs for him, even if it means passing on a more elite player at a defensive position? I think Cox is for sure one of the best players of the draft, but I can’t understand the justification for spending the #1 overall pick on a QB and not giving him adequate targets.

Granted, he was drafted by a different coach, but still… know what I mean?

2. ICDogg says:

Last year, who had the Eagles taking Watkins?

I think the most popular mocks had the Eagles taking Carimi, Sherrod, Pouncey, and Jimmy Smith. Somebody must have guessed Watkins, but it was probably a less popular guess than Wilkerson or Brandon Harris or Aaron Williams.

The Eagles make a habit of doing something most people don’t expect.

• Tommy Lawlor says:

Here’s what I said last year:

Let’s focus on 5 names that the Eagles think could be on the board at 23 and have interest in.

CB Jimmy Smith
      G/C Mike Pouncey
      DT Muhammad Wilkerson
      DE Brooks Reed
      DE Adrian Clayborn

Honestly, I’m only really comfortable with the first two names. Beyond that, things get iffy. And I think the Eagles must feel the same way and that’s why they are interested in trading back. Smith we’ve discussed plenty. Big time talent who could start right away for us. Pouncey also fits a need and is a good player. Could challenge Jamaal Jackson at C or McGlynn at RG.

Wilkerson has the talent to be a starter, but we’re already 4 deep with veteran DTs. He would be a pick for the future, unless he was able to outplay the current guys right off the bat. It’s hard to say how quickly he’ll transition from Temple to the NFL. Reed isn’t a gifted athlete, but is a real good fit for Washburn’s system. Clayborn looked like a stud in 2009 before struggling as a Senior. If we could get him back on track, he’d be a steal. That’s not a sure thing, unfortunately. I wouldn’t take him at 23. I don’t know if the Eagles might.

Part of the attraction in trading back is that the bottom 3 guys could all still be on the board in the late 1st or even early 2nd. Why take them at 23 if you can move back, get another pick, and still get them?

Top 5 targets if we move back in the 30-35 range

DE Brooks Reed
      CB Aaron Williams
      CB Ras-I Dowling
      G Danny Watkins
      DE Adrian Clayborn

Reed and Clayborn were discussed earlier. Williams lacks elite speed, but is a really good football player. If he doesn’t work at CB, he could convert to S. I think he’s got a legit shot to be an NFL corner. Dowling has great size/speed numbers. Big time potential. I’m not a huge fan of going for Watkins here because he’s already 26 years old and is a G/C, but Mudd might love him and think he could be a star OL for us. If so, Watkins could be an early 2nd target.

3. Jordan says:

Do you see Melvin Ingram fitting with the Eagles at all? Could he play end for us or would he fit as a SAM? I think he is a spectacular football player

• Tommy Lawlor says:

Very possible. Would be DE/situational DT. Might love his athletic ability. Not sure if they love his size since roster already has guys with his build.

4. Bebin says:

Damn I would LOVE for the eagles to get “the walker”…but I don’t think it’ll happen..here’s hoping

Bruce Irvin? I know yo like me want the giants to fail but why would they take a undersized DE?

and lastly Amini Silatolu?…I didn’t know who he was till today a couple of mocks I follow had him..very interesting indeed…lots of movers

5. TFor3 says:

First off please tell me Poe is not going to be the pick. I just see bust written all over him.

I don’t see DE being the position I have to think move up for Cox or stay put for Luke as both you guys said. If for some reason they can get Gilmore can he play the slot this year? I know DRC had some issues there and it takes a special skill set. Just hate to see a high pick get redshirted.

As far as QB’s go What about a late flier on Lindley? I saw SDST a few times(more under Hoke) and was impressed by his arm. Think his issues are teachable?

• Tommy Lawlor says:

Poe not likely, but can’t be totally ruled out. Not sure if team likes him.

DE might be BPA so can’t ignore it. Hope they don’t go DE, though. Gilmore could be slot.

Lindley could be of definite interest in 4th or 5th.

• ICDogg says:

I’ve had the nagging suspicion that the Eagles are really interested in Poe. Washburn would have him play the “Haynesworth” role.

• Tommy Lawlor says:

Washburn is fascinated by Poe. If we could get him in the 2nd or 3rd, might happen. Don’t think you spend 15 on a guy like Poe. If Washburn coveted him and begged, something might happen, but I’m not getting the vibe that Wash or anyone at NovaCare loves Poe.

6. Arby says:

I’m beginning to become concerned for you that you are still predicting Luke to fall to 15. I am prescribing a PBR per pick leading up to #15, then after the pick, whatever it is, take 2, and only 2!, aspirin and call me in the morning. Or the afternoon.

(Seriously, I hope you’re right.)

7. McMVP says:

Keuchly @ 15 huh?

So you’re telling me there’s a chance…I see many barriers in the way. Would absolutely love this…but can’t hold my breath.