* USC LT Matt Kalil made it official that he’s entering the draft. He should be a Top 5 pick. He’s the best LT in the nation and has the size/skills/background to step in right away and be a solid NFL player. There are more than a few teams who could use him. I’m sure Sam Bradford would love to see Kalil come to St. Louis. Jason Smith was a reach/project who’s struggled and Rodger Saffold might be better off at LG or RT. I think Saffold could be a great OG.
* Marshall DE Vinny Curry wrapped up a big Senior season with a solid bowl showing. He didn’t get a sack vs FIU, but was disruptive. He had a TFL and FF in the game. I think anyone who watches Curry play is impressed, but I do question whether he’s meant to be a 1st rounder. Curry had 11 sacks this year. 8 of them came vs So Miss, UCF, and Rice. The other 10 games netted him 3 sacks. That bugs me when talking about a 1st round pass rusher. Curry does have a good burst. Great motor. He will chase plays all over the field. Will go high because this isn’t a good class of pass rushers.
* Speaking of guys ending careers…Boise QB Kellen Moore’s is in the books. He went 50-3 as a starter. That is shocking. His resume includes wins over Georgia, Virginia Tech, Oregon (twice), and TCU. He also beat Arizona State and Utah in bowl games (went 3-1 overall). Great, great college player.
I do think Moore should get a serious look from NFL teams. He has some issues to overcome, but his accuracy, decision-making, and ability to anticipate plays really make me wonder if he can overcome being a smaller QB with a mediocre arm. I don’t project him as a starter, but wonder if he could be a good backup.
Teammate Doug Martin has been my favorite Senior RB all year. He had a huge game in the win over ASU. Martin had a 99-yard TD on a KOR and ran for 151 yards. I don’t know if Martin can be a workhorse in the NFL, but he could be a terrific #2 RB/KOR. He has good speed and runs hard. Elusive. Deceptively strong. Breaks more tackles than you’d think. Good receiver. Put Martin in the right situation and he can be a good NFL player.
* I’ve gotten quite a few questions about Alabama Safety Mark Barron recently. I like Barron quite a bit. I think he’s the best S in the draft. Barron isn’t great at man coverage, but he is solid in zone. Good hitter/tackler. Experienced, productive player with some athletic ability. He’s got 12 career INTs and 12 career TFLs. Nice balance. Shows you he can play in the box as well as making coverage plays. I don’t think Barron is special enough to be a 1st round pick.
* I feel like Arkansas DE Jake Bequette is flying below the radar. Gifted SEC pass rusher with good size (6’5, 271) and production. Better athlete than people realize. Maybe he’ll open some eyes at the Senior Bowl.
* Assuming these players come out, they should be the top of the draft:
QB Andrew Luck
QB Robert Griffin
LT Matt Kalil
CB Morris Claiborne
WR Justin Blackmon
RB Trent Richardson
DL Quinton Coples