by Tommy Lawlor – http://www.ScoutsNotebook.com
* New mock draft is posted. 2 rounds. Here’s the link.
* I’m starting to think that Washington has to take a QB at #10. They don’t have picks in the 3rd or 4th round. That means they need to get a guy in the 1st or 2nd. Getting one in the 2nd is ideal, but there is a problem with that. It doesn’t seem likely for any QB they’re interested in to fall that far. Fine, just trade up. With what? They don’t have a 3rd or 4th. They could used a 2012 1st rounder. That’s a steep price to pay for Christian Ponder or Andy Dalton. Taking Jake Locker at #10 really does make the most sense, assuming that Mike Shanahan feels he needs to have a young QB to develop.
* I’m now thinking that Mike Brown won’t go QB at #4. That would be a sign of defeat in his battle of wills with Carson Palmer. Instead, he’ll go WR or something like that and then maybe add a QB in the 2nd. Brown should just deal Palmer (when he can) and move on. Being stubborn to win a battle is pointless. It isn’t as if Carson Palmer has been a troublesome player for years. Mike Brown = Obstinate Uncle Otis.
* The Lions need help on defense to be sure, but how on Earth can they pass on Tyron Smith or Anthony Castonzo if those guys are on the board? Matt Stafford is the key to that franchise. He’s got someone to throw to. He’s got someone to hand the ball to. He’s got a good TE. Now go get him a LT so the guy can stay on the field and lead the team into playoff contention.
* A couple of days ago I started thinking about who I would take at DE if both Adrian Clayborn and Brooks Reed were on the board. Assuming all things were equal in terms of fitting into the defensive system, I’d go with Reed. When is the last time I was really impressed by Clayborn? It’s been a while. I thought the world of him in 2009. This year he just wasn’t the same player. He then skipped the Senior Bowl, which bugged me. Now we find out he’s got Erb’s Palsy, a serious condition. Clayborn has NFL talent, but he’s not a player that I believe in right now.
* I can’t wait to see where SS Ahmad Black goes. The guy is small and slow…and talented, tough, and productive. I hope he’s taken in the 3rd or 4th round. Real fun player to watch. The opposite of Taylor Mays. If you put Black’s instincts and focus into Mays body…wow. Top 5 pick.
* Appalachian State G Daniel Kilgore is an interesting late round prospect. He played RG, RT, and LT in his career. Moves really well laterally. You’ll see guys start to get by him with a swim move, but Kilgore is able to slide that way and sustain the block. Feisty guy that will get after defenders on run plays. Won’t fit in every system, but there is a place for him in the NFL.