by Tommy Lawlor – http://www.ScoutsNotebook.com
* Indiana QB Ben Chappell had another strong outing. Against Akron he was 23-33-342 and 4 TDs.
* Alabama had a few guys play well in the win over Arkansas. FS Mark Barron had 7 solo stops, a sack, and broke up a pass. RB Mark Ingram ran for 157 yards and 2 TDs. WR Julio Jones caught 5 passes for 55 yards.
* Troy WR Jerrel Jernigan had a productive day vs Arkansas State. He caught 10 passes for 209 yards and a TD. He also returned punts and KOs.
* South Carolina CB Chris Culliver had a solid game in the loss at Auburn. Chris had 6 solo tackles, broke up a pass, and forced a fumble.
* Steven Friday has emerged as a good pass rusher for Va Tech. He had 3 TFLs against BC (2 of them were sacks). He also had 2 FFs.
* Michigan LB Jonas Mouton continued his strong season with a good game vs Bowling Green. Mouton had 7 total tackles, a sack, and an INT. He’s now got 2 picks this year.
* Northwestern LB Quentin Davie is having a big time year. He had his first sack and FF on Saturday, but he’s been making all kinds of plays this year. Fellow LB Nate Williams had 6 solo tackles and 2 TFLs.
* One of the big questions for OU runner DeMarco Murray was whether he could hold up to an increased workload. He’s got 105 carries after just 4 games. Consider that his career high is 179 carries in a season and you can see he’s way ahead of that pace. He had 28 carries against Cincy on Saturday but only gained 67 yards.
* Oklahoma DE Jeremy Beal had 5 tackles and 2 sacks vs Cincy. Junior CB Jamell Fleming broke up 2 passes.
* Idaho QB Nathan Enderle had a breakout game vs Colorado State. He was 25 for 30 for 347 yards and 3 TDs.
* Ohio State WR Dane Sanzenbacher had a big game vs EMU. He caught 9 passes for 108 yards and 4 TDs.
* Da’Rell Scott had 15 carries for 103 yards for Maryland in their win over FIU. His long run was 56 yards. WR Torrey Smith continued his big year for the Terps. He caught 8 passes for 159 yards and a TD. His long catch was 76 yards. He’s been an outstanding vertical threat this year. LB Adrian Moten had 11 tackles, broke up a pass, and had an INT.
* Florida Atlantic TE Rob Housler had 4 catches for 94 yards and a TD.
* Fresno State QB Ryan Colburn had a monster game vs Ole Miss. He was 32-42-390 and 4 TDs. Fresno St put up 38 points in the loss. Lefty QBs are always fun to watch for some reason.
* Ole Miss MLB Jonathan Cornell had 12 total tackles and 2.5 TFLs.
* Miss State LB K.J. Wright was very active in the win over Georgia. He was in on 7 tackles and had half a TFL. He also broke up 4 passes. That’s very impressive for a LB.
* Ga Tech ILB Brad Jefferson had 11 tackles, 2 sacks, and a FF.
* Houston CB Loyce Means had a big game vs Tulane. He had 4 solo tackles and picked off 2 passes. He ran one back for a TD. He now has 8 career INTs and is dangerous when he gets his hands on the ball.
* MTSU DE Jamari Lattimore had the best game of his career on Saturday. He had 8 tackles and 4 sacks. He forced a fumble and had a couple of QB hurries as well. He’s having a good year.
* Southeastern LA’s Mark Newbill is the leading tackler in all of I-AA. He plays LB, but is only 5’11, 215. I haven’t had a chance to watch him play yet so I’m not sure if he’s more of a WLB or SS. Against ULM he had 17 tackles (10 solo), a TFL, and pass break-up. Mark has been in on 53 tackles this year. Safety Tommy Connors was also impressive. He was in on 15 tackles, had 2.5 TFLs, and picked off a pass.
* Michigan State LB Greg Jones had 4 tackles, a FF, and picked off 2 passes.
* Northern Illinois RB Chad Spann had a monster game vs Minnesota. He had 15 carries for 223 yards, including a 61-yard TD.
* South Dakota State has a LB with the best name in all of college football…Derek Domino. The guy can play. Against Nebraska he was in on 16 tackles, had 1.5 TFLs, and picked off a pass. He now has 9 career picks. And Domino isn’t some small, athletic LB. He lists at 6’3, 255.
* Penn State RB Evan Royster had 26 carries for a career high 187 yards. He only had 110 yards in the first 3 games combined. Royster reportedly lost weight since the first couple of games and that has made a real difference. We’ll see how he does vs Iowa this week.
* Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan had 10 tackles and 3.5 TFLs (1.5 were sacks) in the disappointing loss to Toledo.
* Toledo LB Archie Donald had a big game in the win. He had 16 total tackles (13 solo) and picked off a pass. That was his 2nd INT on the year.
* Southern Cal FB Stanley Havili had a 59-yard run vs Washington St. He also caught 5 passes for 107 yards. He scored 1 TD on the ground and 1 through the air.