by Tommy Lawlor – ScoutsNotebook.com
* Bama RB Trent Richardson is only a Soph, but this kid looks like a Top 15 kind of RB. He is incredibly powerful. Tacklers just seem to slide off him. And I’m not just talking about DBs. Really impressive player.
* Bama has a pair of Junior stars on defense. S Mark Barron can cover, hit, and tackle. He is a good run defender. LB Donta Hightower was injured last year. He’s back and looks healthy to me. Powerful tackler vs inside runs and a gifted pass rusher. He drops down to DE on passing downs.
* I listened to an interview with Miami QB Jacory Harris this morning. He really sounds like a kid. He’s only a Junior and I hope he stays another year. Harris is talented, but he doesn’t seem like a guy that is ready for the NFL right now.
* Ohio State DT Cameron Heyward picked off a pass and ran it back about 80 yards. Impressive catch and then really nice return. You can see how athletic he is. I can’t wait to study the tape and see how he did vs Canes OT Orlando Franklin.
* Va Tech loses to James Madison. Wow. I-AA fans know that JMU has been good for several years. They always seem to have an NFL prospect or two. Still, very surprised to see the Hokies lose that game.
* There were a couple of injuries in the games this week. Houston QB Case Keenum hurt his head while trying to make a tackle after throwing an interception. UH hasn’t commented officially yet. Hopefully Case won’t miss too much time.
Auburn LT Lee Ziemba hurt his knee vs Mississippi State on Thursday and never returned to the game. I haven’t seen an update on his status yet. It didn’t seem like an ACL tear. Hopefully he won’t have to miss a full game. Ziemba has definite NFL potential.